Sunday, July 22, 2007

It's the waiting that will get you

I went to the doctor today (yes on sunday. the clinic runs 7 days a week. Crazy for a small town that only has one restaurant open through the winter and most aren't open on the weekends). But yes I went to my doctor today because that was when he had an opening. Back in March he found a spot on my thyroid that he wanted me to get biopsied, but as the summer got busier and busier, I put it off. To save you from all of the intimate details, I decided it was time to revisit my thyroid and find out what was happening. Of course I am always a complex puzzle that my doctor stands in awe of. There is never an easy answer for me. I am not a text book patient by any stretch of the imagination (but I suppose most of us are not). Although I feel like I have heard "Wow... I haven't seen anything like that before" more than one person should ever have to. Just once I would like to hear "oh you fit perfectly into this page in my text book. I was just reading up on your condition and it is SOOOO easy to fix." So anyways, back to my appointment. He really thinks all my symptoms are thyroid related but they could all easily fall under some other category with a totally different treatment! An ultrasound revealed that the questionable area had spread and my right thyroid also has a very small spot that wasn't there in March. Even though I have had all of the blood work done in the past, they are going to run several more tests, along with repeating my previous tests. Then Dr. Durmon is going to set up an appointment for a fine needle biopsy of the area. But I have seen those "fine" needles before and they look FAT to me. And I don't feel "fine" about them sticking that into my neck! ARG! I want to know what is going on with my body yet I am nervous about getting there and discouraged that we aren't getting there fast enough, all at the same time.

4 comments:

Jaime Wright said...

Heya - love the blog, keep it up!! It means a lot to know what's the next prayer request. I'll be keeping your tests in mind and completely empathizing with you on the big fat needles!!

Love ya!
Jaime

Jessica P said...

Nice to see you started a blog... welcome to the blog world!!! Will be praying for your tests!! Glad you are finally getting it done.

Unknown said...

Great idea to do the blog! You'll be my new homepage. I am also SOOOO glad you're getting the thyroid checked out. You will continue to be in my prayers specifically for that!! I know this must be very scary but the sooner you know what you're dealing with the better where the thyroid is concerned. God will see you through it all and so will we! We SOOOO enjoyed our visit with you a couple of weeks ago!! Just got home last night and will send a separate email later. Love to you all, Kim

Scheppke Family said...

Hey There....
reading your BLOG, trying to keep up with your activities. Chase those tests, seems we are always chasing something in life! Thank God, he can handle what we cannot.

The Scheppke's

The Wright's Ramblings

sharing a little more about our day to day lives