Saturday, August 11, 2007

Ahhh...

Last night was the end of summer camp. We celebrated with a large banquet and a time of sharing. I love to sit and hear stories from the summer and the lives that were changed. But today is quiet, peaceful and void of voices. One thing you get used to during the summer is the hum in the air. Voices of children and over-excited teenagers fill the night and day alike. Laughter, cars, squealing, footsteps on the gravel, army trucks, camp vans, work trucks, guitars and slamming doors, have all ceased (at least for today). Most of the 70+ summer staff are in planes and automobiles headed home. As sad as this day may sound to you, I love this day. I feel for an instant that we ARE in the middle of nowhere (which is the case, but with the uniqueness of living at a youth camp, you forget). It is a sign of seasons changing. There is a hint of fall in the air. I am not sure if I think that because it is quiet or if I actually detect fall. The last 3 nights have produced a light fost on some of the roofs. My favorite thing that Fall brings, though, is a sense of family. In the 12 summer weeks of organized chaos, you will find a couple close relationships out of the 70+ staff members. But fall only brings about 12 seasonal staff. They all become part of our lives and families. It is a sweet time of fellowship. So just for today, before Monday comes and camp springs back to life, I am going to imagine I am smack dab in the middle of fall and put on a cozy sweater. I know I am slightly crazy since it IS only the 11th of August, but I did notice one, lone tree turning yellow in a sea of green on the mountain side today. For some reason that tree put me in the mood I am today. Peaceful, happy and sleepy.

2 comments:

Papa Jim and Grammy Jo said...

How descriptive in your observations of the sights and sounds of camping winding down and fall approaching. Choked us up. Pics are all good and cute and funny. Nice moose!! Or was that Wade? Only kidding. Ethan is growing up!! Love you lots!!

Jessica P said...

Awwww... how wonderful to come to this time of year, but yet, it does seem sad. All the stores are going to close! I have enjoyed being there this time of year, BUT....HERE COME THE BEARS!!! You can have this time of year ;)

The Wright's Ramblings

sharing a little more about our day to day lives